"When the Pace of Life Was
Watch, listen, and fill in the
- The first settlers traveled
mostly by ____________
- People in the early days tried to
travel by _________ if they could.
- In 1673 the first_______ riders
went between Boston and New York.
- In winter, people replaced their
carriage or wagon wheels with _________
- In 1783, the first
_____________________ line was established.
- In 1808, a ________________ was
begun between Boston and Worcester.
- A "corduroy" road was made
of______ laid side by side across the road.
- The _______Canal was built from
Boston to Lowell; it opened in 1803.
- Canals had ________ to raise or
lower boats to different water levels.
- Freight barges carried _________
farm produce, and hides to Boston.
- Canals were busy in every season
- The canal lost business because
of the Boston and Lowell __________
- Railroads were running in a few
places in Massachusetts by the _____s.
- The Hoosac Tunnel was built in
the __________ so the trains could pass through the hills more
quickly and easily.
- During the 1850s, many cities and
towns began to have___________
- Automobiles became popular in the